Saturday, May 30, 2015

Part 1- Albay, Bicol

Our trip to Bicol was short but sweet. It was extra special not only because Bicol is my hometown but also because this trip allowed us to bond with both our families while discovering together what Albay has more to offer. And even though this trip was unplanned (we even had to cancel our flight to Bacolod for this) but there is indeed no better way to travel than to spend it with your family and lovedones. 




We arrived in Legazpi Airport at 10:30am and my uncles immediately greeted us at the arrival area. Coincidentally, one of my uncle (who recently just married) together with his wife went home to Bicol in the exact date of our arrival. And since it's Jan and my uncle's wife first time in Bicol, we rented the jeep of our relative to tour our special guests around Albay. We first headed to the most visited tourist spot in Daraga.. The Cagsawa Ruins which is around 10mins drive from the airport. Aside from its history, the Cagsawa Ruins Park gives a great view of the Majestic Mayon Volcano --but at the time of our arrival, the shy Mayon was already covered with clouds. To see its full beauty, it is best to visit the Park early in the morning.




There were also a lot of souvenir items, abaca handicrafts & calenderia along the park. We decided to have our early lunch in one of the calenderia there and enjoyed the Bicolano's famous spicy and coconut-based dishes such as Bicol express, Gatang Puso ng saging, gatang blue marlin and another gata dish. Sorry I'm literally not good in naming & describing foods. All I can state is whether the food tastes good or not. But with all the dishes we ordered, it was absolutely a thumbs up! Masiramon!!



We also tried (out of curiosity) a fruit shake stall that offers Sili Shake. And well, the seller put too much chili we couldn't stand the spice and throw it after just one sip. The experience costs us Php55.00. Hehe. They also offer Bicol Express Shake. Yay!





After lunch we headed next to the town of Tiwi to experience its famous natural spring pool. My mom would always tell me of her fond childhood memory in Tiwi where they used to boil their saging na saba and eggs thru its steamy holes --and that is why in this trip, I didn't forget to include it in our itinerary. As we ask for direction to the hot spring, the people would always weirdly point us to Tiwi Spring Resort-- only to find out later that the famed hot spring had  already died naturally long time ago. What is left are only a few spring resorts like the ones in Laguna. Gahhh.. How come I didn't even research on this before suggesting an itinerary?! We even travelled a one hour ride for this tapos epic fail pala. What a lame?! But good thing, the DJC Halo-halo saved our day!



DJC Halo-halo is one of the most popular restaurants to try out when in Bicol and has always been tag as one of the yummiest halo-halo in town . The original restaurant is located in Tiwi just a short ride away from the Tiwi Spring Resort. They also have branches in Pacific Mall in Legazpi City and Naga. And my..they are absolutely right. In just a minute, I literally finished my halo-halo. DJC halo-halo is the best halo-halo I've ever tasted.. Much yummier than the other famous halo-halo like Razons & Digman. The ingredients blended well together and the added cheese made the halo-halo creamier. It was definitely worth the one hour jeepney ride and failed hot spring adventure. Hehe.




DJC Halo-halo (Php60.00)


After quenching our thirst with yummy halo-halo of DJC, we took another one hour ride to Bacacay to visit the grave of my maternal grandparents..


I am my grandparents favorite grandchild. Every summer vacation, my Lola would always take me to Bicol. As a young kid, my Lolo and Lola gave me so much love and affection to remember forever. That is why even though it has been years since both of them passed away.. its still hurt me like hell to see their names in their grave stones. I miss you Loli and Lolo.

With my Tito Ike and wife, Tita Harlene

And our last stop for our jeepney tour .. The hi-hello-kamusta po-mano po moment with my relatives in San Pedro and Ilawod. In our town, everybody knows each other and everybody's business.. And one must give respect by "mano" gestures .. Kaya unli mano kami ni Jan. Hehe. I also had the opportunity to bring Jan to my grandparents house . it made me teary eyed to see that the house where I used to live is now empty, lifeless and abandoned. As I look at our house, the memory of my childhood with my grandparents had flashed back. It was fun though to tell these stories with the man I love  the most. Thank you honey for always accompanying me with all my adventures.


After our sumptuous Laing and adobo dinner prepared by my Tito.. We headed back to Legazpi City to be with Jan's family. We've stayed in Magayon Hotel located at Peñaranda St. The hotel is ok for bagpackers and for travelers who are just looking for a descent place to sleep. I'm not literally O.C to hotels but I had to comment about the dead cockroach we found in our sheet. It was really gross .. The hotel should do something about the maintenance and cleanliness of the hotel. Apart from that, the hotel is just fine .. Very accessible location to tourist destinations in Albay by simply riding a tricycle in front of the hotel.


And then we just spent the rest of the night at Embarcadero.. It was a loonnngg, draining but fulfilled first day in Albay.




Always,

Rica 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...